A high-risk pregnancy is one where you or your baby has a greater-than-normal chance of having health problems. Many factors can make a pregnancy high-risk, including:
- Multiple babies
- A mother's chronic health problem (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc.)
- A mother younger than 17 or older than 35
- Multiple miscarriages by the mother
- A problem in a past pregnancy
- A baby with a genetic disorder
- A condition that develops during pregnancy (preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, etc.)
The physicians at Novant Health UVA Health System Lake Manassas OB/GYN are trained to handle high-risk pregnancies and will work to understand your unique condition and deliver the care you need. This might mean additional appointments, extra ultrasounds, regular blood pressure monitoring, or special plans for labor and delivery.
If any of the characteristics above apply to you or if you are concerned about another condition that could affect your pregnancy, please call our office so that we can schedule an appointment to discuss your concerns.